Monday, August 23, 2010

Daily Checklist to a Better Life

This little list of mine is inspired by "Life's Little Instruction Book" by H. Jackson Brown Jr., which I had the pleasure of reading this past weekend. It got me wondering if there was anything that I did on a regular basis to improve my life. I'm a creature of habit -- too much so, truth be told -- so it came as little surprise to me how easily this list came to mind.

It's worth noting that, by and large, I am not considered a "cheery" person, but this is something of a misconception. I do my absolute best to maintain a positive attitude, even if you'd never guess it from my outwardly sarcastic nature. Maybe that's why I made this list: to show that anyone can lead a positive life, even those of us who seem to channel the Grinch even when we don't mean to. =)

Doing these ten things, every day, have made me a better person. Maybe they can help someone else, too.

1. Tell your spouse or significant other how much you love them. You don't need to write a sonnet or an epic poem, but a heartfelt "I Love You" while looking your spouse in the eyes carries more meaning than you might know.

2. Exercise. Even a little. If you don't have time to work out, do some sit-ups, some push-ups, or go for a good walk or bike ride. You'll feel better.

3. Listen to a song that you love. Go and hide in a corner with your IPod if you have to. Don't be afraid to sing along.

4. Pause, take 5 minutes, and do nothing. This one is hard for me -- I'm always on the move, in some fashion or another -- but doing this can work wonders for the mind. Stare at a sunset, at a tree, or just watch as people pass by.

5. Make someone else laugh.

6. Make yourself laugh.

7. Listen to, taste, watch, read or otherwise try something recommended to you by someone else. It's good to open your mind, and listen to what others have to tell you. If someone loves something, there's a reason, and if nothing else it can be exciting to experience someone else's passions.

8. Take time to look at something that interests you. Surf the web and find an article about a movie you recently enjoyed or a book you read ten years ago and suddenly remembered the other day. Check in on your favorite sports team or the local news. Just be sure to feed whatever engages you.

9. Do something kind for someone that you don't know. Even if it's as simple as just holding open a door for someone behind you.

10. Hug your children. Tell them you love them. If your child is too old for hugging (in their mind), get creative, and find some other way to let them know how you feel. (If you don't have children, you likely have a pet, which has become something of a stand-in for children for many people my age. If you don't, get one.)

And a bonus item...

11. Look forward to something. Whether it be kissing your wife, watching that new Blu-Ray you bought over the weekend, or just taking off your shoes at the end of the day, it's good to have something positive you can bring to mind when the day throws unexpected challenges your way.

Get out there and live.

No comments: